Monday, July 14, 2008

Dreams: Airplanes and Death

I regained conciousness, my mind still groggy from the unconcious state it was previously in. I took in my surroundings, I was in a spacious room, with a large bed, my belongings strewn around me. I got up, and walked out of the unfamiliar room. From outside, the room seemed smaller than it was before. That's weird.

Outside the room, my whole immediate family was there, including some cousins and relatives. Strange, why wasnt my dad at work? All these inconsistencies did not seem to matter at that point.

Time passed, and i found out that i was in an aircraft. How? This was because my entire world had just spun one full round, similar to a viking ship on those fun fairs, but instead of swinging from front to back, i went from side to side, making one full round. Just then, the captain of the aircraft announced over the PA system that the engines had failed, and we would be crashing into the sea soon. We started to lose altitude. Following emergency procedure, we rushed to wear our life vests, hoping that the inflatable yellow jackets would protect our lives.

Sadness, the emotion in its full force, overcame me. The realization had hit me, I would be losing my family, i would be losing my own life, and i would lose possession of all my belongings. My family, who were beside me just a moment ago, now seemed far far away. I tried to collect some of my belongings, hoping that they will survive the crash along with me, but someone stopped me. "It's no use" the person said. In desperation, I took out my handphone, and called a friend. I needed someone to talk to, even if it was for a short while. The phone connected, and I managed to say "Tell everyone I'm going to die, and I'll miss you all", before it was time. Time to jump off the doomed aircraft into the deep blue sea, time to face reality and death. Then I woke up.

I was relieved, I wasnt dead, as far as i could tell, it was all just a dream. But dreams are said to be the subconcious mind trying its best to communicate with the concious one, and from dreams we can find out new things about ourselves. From this dream, I fear death, and I fear the loss of everything I hold close to me.

This post is a recount of my dream yesterday, some of the information in it is of course made up, as it helps the story to flow, and some information omitted, those that are not for public viewing. As we all know how dreams are, they are generally random situations and scenes stiched together that makes a little sense, but still they give us the same emotions as real life events. Emotions are characterised by changes in chemicals in the body, and I was full of the "sad" chemical when i woke up. Anyway, i heard that if you recount your bad dreams, which are not neccessarily nightmares, to people, the dream would not recur. May this dream not recur to me.

No comments: