Saturday, July 19, 2008

At the 11th Hour

It's still Saturday, although only 10 minutes of it is left. What an eventful day it has been.

The Walk Home
Leaving the house at 6.45am, and returning at around 8.30pm, I've spent more than 12 hours outside of home on this Saturday, of which 6 hours can be claimed for Service hours, contributing to the target of 150 CAS hours needed for an IB diploma.

It is long past 7pm, and the sun has set. The shadows have lengthened, till they cover this half of the earth in darkness. It is raining, refreshing droplets of water that falls from the heavens in the sky to cool the earth. At the bus stop closest to my house, the surroundings seem surreal. The light is of a yellowish hue, a result of the non-fluorescent street lamps that abound throughout this small nation. Other countries do not have such luxuries; they make do with the occasional functioning public lighting post along long stretches of roads. The sounds of the raindrops hitting everything around me is loud and distracting, drowning out other man-made noises, I can’t hear myself think. The atmosphere is peaceful, as though Mother Nature is showing that she still reigns over us legions of men. I look around - there are few people walking about. Who would be stupid enough to be wandering around in the rain? This reminds me of when I was overseas, where the streets are often devoid of people. I don’t think I can live in a world with only myself, I’ll go mad. The rain is harmless, it is just water droplets falling from above, they don’t hurt when they hit you, and yet we are afraid of them. Sure enough we get wet, but then again what goes up must come down, and what gets wet will dry off sooner or later. Such unfounded fears - that is the mark of the flawed race of mankind. I take out my umbrella, the one that is always in my bag. It is good to keep a portable umbrella in your bag; you never know when you may need it. I trudge through the damp streets, up the flight of 88 stairs, and onwards to my house. This has been a time of contemplation, of reflection, of experiencing life, for which I am thankful.

The Dark Knight
I watched batman today with an unlikely group of acquaintances. These include a Singaporean boy from America, and a teacher that has never taught me, and friends from multiple classes. Here are some points I realize about the movie (nothing much of a spoiler ahead):
1. They used the same idea as my earlier post on the emotionless boy, who resorts to using chance in the form of a flipped coin to make choices. The image of a coin flying in the air, spinning around and around, and landing to decide the outcome of two possibilities is still a powerful one.
2. “Slaughter: It cannot be spelled without laughter” I first saw this phrase from a 4chan post on the anime Higurashi. The movie made the same reference.
3. No matter where you go watch this movie, it is worth it. I paid $9.50 for 2 hours and 30 mins of awesome, definitely worth it.
4. Conway Wickliffe is a special effects technician that lost his life on the set of the movie.
5. Overall I thought the movie was of quite a good standard, except that the plot seemed to end at at least three different points in the show.

No comments: