Sunday, May 9, 2010


It's past 12am and a call comes in: "SCT Darrell Neo has to report to camp for CDT duty at 7.15am later today". It also happens to be Mother's Day today.

I love you mum, and I wish to spend Mother's Day with you, especially since dad and sis are overseas, but your dear son has to serve the nation by sitting beside a phone in his company office because some other cadet decides that it sure is convenient to report sick on their duty day.

This reminds me so much of the guard duty on my sister's birthday.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Miss you much

Here marks the end of an amazing week, amazing because it is so eventful.

Field camp was from Monday to Friday, where everyone got to do fun stuff all day long. The days were spent learning about outfield, prowling around in the jungle trails in tactical formation, crawling in mud, keeping a look out for Wild Boars and Artillery Strikes, sleeping in basha tents, digging a shellscrape coffin and sleeping in it, sleeping cowboy out in the open, getting my rifled stunned by my PC, etc.

And coming back from all that, on Saturday we were given the privilege of attempting our second IPPT, which I thankfully managed to scrape a pass by just meeting the bare minimum mark for pull-ups and SBJ. No more Remedial Training YESSS.

Saturday was also book out day, and I went to eat delicious Japanese food at Tampines 1, and after that spent 6 hours of quality time cycling with my siblings from 8.30pm to 2.30am.

Sunday was spent watching an entertaining movie adaptation of Kaiji.

All in all, a rather pleasant week. I am happy =D

Friday, March 5, 2010


Life kinda sucks right now, it's my last book out before field camp and I have this terrible flu that stole away my sense of taste. I literally cannot taste anything at all - drinking milk feels exactly like drinking chilled water. That also means that it's quite pointless for me to eat comfort food or fast food. There goes my plans to feast before field camp. O wells.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

National Service - Basic Military Training

BMT is funny. It is the only place I know of where bearing refers to how one is dressed (e.g. Shirts tucked in) while dressing refers aligning oneself by checking his bearing or relative position to other members of the platoon.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Moving On...

Moving on from the experience of a lifetime that was IB, we slowly head towards the future and adulthood. In Singapore, all male citizens and PRs are required by the Law to attend a period of National Service (lasting about 1 year 10 months) once they reach their teens, where they turn Boys into Men. I'll begin to fufill my duties as a National Serviceman starting this Saturday. As a memento before I go in, here's a picture of us before we go.

Ocean's Twelve

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Results Part 2

And so option 2) becomes reality, and the nice number written on the certificate given to me today is the innocuous looking 4 followed by 2, otherwise seen as 42. Yay! But I'm still half a point below the average of 2007's 4.9 class. Now you get an idea of how imba that class is.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010


The last results I'll receive for quite some time. The way I see it, only one of three options may happen:

1) I get <38 points, o wells I got what I deserved for putting in so little effort for such an important event
2) I get 38-42 points, hrmm not bad, though I would still be considered quite an inferior person paper-academically as compared to the peers I have been with over the past 6 years
3) I get >42 points, whoa dneo the lucksack strikes again, damn I love it when such things happen

See, considering all possibilities, 1) has a 20% chance of happening, 2) has a 70% chance of happening, 3) has a 10% chance of happening. So mathematically speaking, that means I am only twice as likely to flunk my IB compared to spectacularly flying colours it. Not bad odds I would say.